Thursday, September 30, 2010

Wake me up when September ends...

Where does the time go? From the end of summer, to getting sick, to running my fourth race, September has come and gone in the blink of an eye (or the flash of a camera). It's scary how quickly time passes. Our parents and grandparents weren't kidding when they said it only goes faster as you get older. I imagine it's because we spend too much of our time wishing our lives away. Children don't sit around waiting for something to happen, they make it happen. They let their imaginations run wild. They create and explore and inquire until they are satisfied. As adults we are forever waiting for someone to pick us up or something to come along. Whether it's the weekend, vacation, summer, Christmas, or the love of our lives, we wait and we hope and we worry, all the while missing out on right now.

Of course it is great to have things to look forward to. These days I have much to anticipate and much to be thankful for. I am thankful for the upcoming weekend getaway with my girls, my best friends. I am looking forward to spending another Thanksgiving in a magical place with someone special. And I can't wait for my annual trip to St. Thomas with my oldest, dearest friends (as mentioned above in the weekend getaway :). It's great to have those big moments in life, the times you will never forget. But it is also great to have the quiet times, the moments (like now) when there is nothing planned, nothing to worry about, anything in the world available, but nothing at all needed aside from this computer, this wine and my cozy sweat pants. In between the big things I will try to enjoy the little things. I will surround myself with things I love and try not to let the precious time elude me.

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, a time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you.
~Simon & Garfunkle

No comments:

Post a Comment